The Path of Your Faith

 I went for a walk recently at a park nearby to just look and listen for God's presence.  The road has been arduous lately and I've been able to detect a wavering in my faith, be it ever so small.  I needed to perceive Jesus with me, and soon, lest my hopes become further deferred (Proverbs 13:12).  Before I left that morning,  I essentially demanded the Lord to meet me out on my walk or else.  (Spoiler Alert: giving God an ultimatum never works, and trust me, I've tried!) The picture you see to the right is one I snapped while taking in the scenes. As I looked ahead of me, I wasn't sure which path to take since it was a new park.  Ultimately, I opted to veer to my left and find out what that direction had in store, but I'm sure you already know that this post isn't really about which direction I went on today's outing.  The bigger spiritual lesson here is the symbolism inherent in the crossroads.  We all face them, and ultimately, we all must decide on a life path.  Have you found yourself at a crossroads lately? What do you see when you look down each one?  Don't let the bully of indecision keep you from taking a step, either to your left or right because God assures us in Isaiah 30:21 that "whether you turn to the right or to the left, your ears will hear a voice behind you saying 'this is the way, walk in it.'" That step you're afraid to take?  Take it. 
My husband and I found ourselves at a crossroads earlier this year when faced with the difficult decision to leave California. It has been his forever home and mine too, at least for the last 15 years. Though I didn't grow up there, it has been the only place I've ever felt at home in this world.  How do I know?  Because I have the benefit of comparative study that covers north, south, east, and west.   From California to Indiana to Philadelphia to Hawaii to Texas, I've tried to live other places, but none of them ever fit as comfortably as my home in SoCal.  It's okay because through the steps in various directions I've become more introspective and privy to the most authentic parts of myself.  I can say with confidence that I don't like living in Hawaii.  I'm not guessing about whether or not I would like it, I'm saying boldly and with conviction that I... don't.... like.... living.... there.  The courage it took for me to pack up and move there didn't result in the aloha dream life I had hoped for, but instead, God cultivated in me a deeper wisdom of my own likes, dislikes, values, priorities, limitations, and life mission.  Most importantly, the struggle and hardship I experienced while there (Acts 14:22) brought me into closer fellowship with Jesus than I ever had before I went.  The crossroads preceded the hardship and the blessing that were both only discoverable in the struggle.  I saw the path of staying where I was and the other that would take me to Maui.  I didn't know what to expect, but I took the step.  Now, take yours.  

What are you most afraid of if you jump into that dream with both feet?  Failure? Disappointment?  Making a mistake?  Or, are you more afraid of success?  Let me ask you to visualize for a moment what it would look like in your life if everything you want actually did come to fruition.  Instead of focusing on everything that could go wrong (hint: a lot of things probably will go wrong because there isn't a pathway of perfection to the realization of our dreams), start considering all that might go right.  Write the book.  Teach the class. Give that speech.  Found your non-profit that will wind up helping millions and even if it only helps 10, do it anyway because those 10 might go on to reach the millions.  Take the trip to that country you've not been able to get out of your head.  Say yes to the love of your life when he asks you to marry him.  Do it, my friend, and for the love of all things good, stop waiting on your circumstances to be just right before you take action.  You've invested the time in prayer, you've asked the Father what His will for your life is, and you've sought wise counsel.  It's time.  Here's what I've found through the rocks that have pebbled my own God-seeking paths - I haven't always gotten it right, but God has never let go of my hand and He isn't going to let go of yours.  He has been with me down every road and helped me to grow - not just from the right decisions, but also from the wrong ones.  You are loved by a perfect God and there is no fear in that love (1John 4:18), so if you look down the crossroads and you're genuinely seeking to please Him in your choices, let go.  Breathe, trust His guidance, and walk out the path of your faith, not your fear.   

Have I not commanded you?  Be strong and courageous; do not be afraid, do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go!" -Joshua 1:9




Comments

Popular Posts