The Promise in the Pain

 A few days ago on my walk, I stopped by the body of water that you see below.  It was enclosed by

black and gray rock and reminded me of Psalm 91:2 that says God is our "refuge and fortress."  Next to the water was a bench where I sat to take this picture, and it was as if the Lord strategically placed it there just for me to rest my weary feet (Matthew 11:28) and meet with Him in prayer.  I sat down to pray and seek His guidance on a number of issues, and as I began to commune with my Father, the fountain gently sprayed tiny droplets of water on me with each brush of wind.  I closed my eyes and smiled.  I was reminded of Ezekiel 36:25 that says I will sprinkle clean water on you, and you will be clean; I will cleanse you of all your impurities...a refreshing recollection of the gentleness of God.  When the world rains down hurricanes of hatred and tornadoes of intolerance, God ever so gently sprinkles His cleansing waters on us. I needed that reminder in those moments on the bench as I recalled the venomous verbal assaults hurled my way in recent months.  Buckets of bitter waters had been poured on my head by former friends, family, and strangers. Some days my spiritual umbrella seemed to break, but while the judgments of others can drench our mind, the sprinkling waters of Jesus strengthen and revitalize our soul.  I sat silently praying to the God who knows me most and loves me best.  I was deeply hurting because of certain circumstances in my present that release an ongoing and consistent flow of pain.  Sometimes, if I close my eyes tightly enough, the sting of the situation pierces my heart a little less, but for the most part, it just aches.  Until the matter can be adjudicated, I remain in a spiritual fetal position on the Lord's altar of grace, mercy, and hope, while calling to remembrance the words His Spirit spoke to my heart that day - the promise is in the pain. 
What promises are you waiting on God to deliver in accordance to your faith (Hebrews 11:6)?  I used to struggle with daily anxiety attacks.  They were crippling.  People who are familiar with my story know that this was an incredibly dark time in my life.  During those years, I tirelessly read Psalm 34:4 that says I sought the Lord and He answered me; He delivered me from all my fears, but the promise of peace was in the pain of panic. The promise of deliverance was in the pain of bondage. I was so tightly chained inside the demonic dungeon of fear that the promises of peace (John 14:27) and faith (Ephesians 2:8) and trust (Proverbs 3:5) seemed distant and unrealistic.  Over time and with much prayer (James 5:16), however, the promise became present.   My reality shifted, but to get to the promise I had to go through the pain
If you've experienced healing from any sickness or disease, then you know the pain that preceded God's promise of healing (Psalm 103:3).  The promise of God's provision (Philippians 4:19) comes from the pain of knowing lack and poverty. Jeremiah 31:3 says that God loves us with an "everlasting love," but we often don't understand the depth of His love unless we have first experienced the pain of hatred, indifference, or rejection.  Similarly, the promise of God's presence with us (Matthew 28:20) is found in the pain of feeling His absence.  The promise of strength comes through the pain of weakness (2 Corinthians 12:9).  The promise of freedom comes through the pain of imprisonment (Isaiah 42:7).  The list goes on, but I wonder what valley of pain you find yourself in today.  When your pillow is moist from the tears that fall as you cry yourself to sleep...when the emotional cut is so jagged that you feel the bleeding will never stop...when the weight of despair is so heavy on your shoulders you can't get out of bed in the morning...look for God's promise sweet friend...it's in the pain.  
"Call to me and I will answer you and tell you great and unsearchable things you do not know.’" - Jeremiah 33:3







Comments

Popular Posts